Bristol-Myers Squibb is investing in a brand new cell therapy facility which will be located at the Leiden Bio Science Park in the Netherlands.
Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS) announced on April 22 that it has chosen Leiden, Netherlands, to accommodate a new cell therapy manufacturing site in Europe, taking advantage of the rising life sciences area near Amsterdam and easy access to transportation for shipping patient cells. On 16 April 2021, BMS and the landowner, Leiden University, have signed a ground lease for the site on Willem Einthovenweg where the new facility will be built.
The new cell therapy facility at the Leiden Bio Science Park
In addition to major contract manufacturing collaborations around the globe, the American pharmaceutical company will open its fifth state-of-the-art cell therapy manufacturing facility in the Oegstgeester part of the Leiden Bio Science Park in Leiden, which is the first in Europe.
Spanning over 19,000 m2, the planned new BMS manufacturing and laboratory facility will equal three football stadiums in size. The site will be situated on Willem Einthovenstraat, across Avery Dennison and Galapagos. The facility design and development planning are currently ongoing, with construction set to begin later in 2021. Completion is expected by the end of 2024.
Expanding global cell therapy production capabilities
Bristol Myers Squibb is making this major new investment to expand global production capability and deliver therapies to patients quicker as part of the company’s ongoing dedication to patients with aggressive hematological cancers and its increasing cell therapy franchise.
Ann Lee, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Cell Therapy Development & Operations, Bristol Myers Squibb stated:
“A key element of BMS’ commitment to cell therapy is our continuous investment in advanced manufacturing capabilities, from the expansion of our global network and capacity to treat patients to reduced turn around time and optimized costs. We continue to grow our presence in Europe and the Netherlands, which offers an innovative life sciences hub and world class industry talent, and we look forward to hiring several hundred talented people over the coming years to join our global team and participate in our cell therapy journey.”
Manufacture of CAR T-cell therapy for patients with blood cancer
Cell therapy is one of several key areas of research at Bristol Myers Squibb. At the new site, the company will develop and manufacture CAR T-cell therapy for patients with blood cancer, such as leukaemia. Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell or CAR T-cell, is a therapy where patients with blood cancer are treated with their own cells.
With capabilities for multi-product cell therapy manufacturing and the potential to ramp up capacity, the European facility will be commercially based. Devoted to providing patients with these vital life-saving cell therapies, the company will use cutting-edge technology, the latest modern manufacturing equipment, and advanced digital systems.
About the Leiden Bio Science Park
The Leiden Bio Science Park (LBSP) is the largest and most developed Life Sciences & Health cluster in the Netherlands, consisting of more than 215 organisations combining innovative companies with academic research and ultra-modern facilities. The new (CAR-T) cell therapy facility is expected to create 500 new jobs in the Leiden region.
About Bristol Myers Squibb cell therapy manufacturing
Bristol Myers Squibb is furthering cell therapy research through pioneering manufacturing approaches and a well-established supply chain platform across a wide network of state-of-the-art facilities with cutting-edge technologies and expert manufacturing teams.
Focusing on innovations that drive the most meaningful advances, BMS is using automation, digitization and new-gen manufacturing technology to prepare for commercialising cell therapies for patients in need. The company has a unique portfolio with 2 approved therapies, 3 investigational cell therapies in clinical trials with a growing early R&D portfolio.
As the manufacturing of autologous cell therapies requires a personalized process, with each therapy created from an
individual patient’s cells, every cell therapy product manufactured by BMS represents a unique cancer patient.
BMS has 5 state-of-the-art cell therapy manufacturing facilities to meet patients’ needs around the world, and as well as the new facility in Leiden, NL, the company also plans a future manufacturing site in Devens, MA.
- Rosalind Franklin Institute, Novel Biological Imaging Technologies, UKThe Rosalind Franklin Institute, a new research institute dedicated to developing novel technologies to tackle important health research challenges has
- cGMP Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Facility, Thermo Fisher, California, USAThermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the global leader in serving science, has opened a new cGMP plasmid DNA manufacturing facility in Carlsbad,
- Cell Therapy Facility, Leiden Bio Science Park, Bristol Myers Squibb, NetherlandsBristol-Myers Squibb is investing in a brand new cell therapy facility which will be located at the Leiden Bio Science
- Digital Vaccine Manufacturing Facility, Sanofi, SingaporeSanofi revealed on April 12, 2021, that it will spend €400 million over five years in Singapore to build a
- AI Innovation Lab, BioNTech and InstaDeep, London and MainzBioNTech and InstaDeep have entered into an agreement to establish a joint AI Innovation Lab in London, United Kingdom and
- Vaccine Manufacturing and R&D Facility, Novavax, Gaithersburg, MarylandNovavax has announced the expansion of its Gaithersburg, Maryland campus to support global vaccine development through the addition of two