Sanofi revealed on April 12, 2021, that it will spend €400 million over five years in Singapore to build a state-of-the-art vaccine manufacturing facility, pushing the limits of operations across cutting-edge manufacturing and digital technologies.
New Sanofi vaccine manufacturing facility in Singapore to supply Asia and supplement Europe and North America
The new Sanofi site will primarily supply the Asian region and supplement existing manufacturing capacities in Europe and North America, thanks to a collaboration with the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB). Sanofi’s contribution to advance the future of vaccines continues with this investment, which will increase production capacity to ensure safety and capability in responding to the possibility of future pandemics.
The site is projected to be fully operational by Q1 of 2026
The ambitious project is currently in the planning process, with construction set to begin in the third quarter of 2021. Once all qualifications and validations of the first produced vaccine have been completed, the five-year project is projected to see the site fully operational in the first quarter of 2026. The modern vaccine manufacturing site is planned to be carbon-neutral and to greatly cut both water use and waste generation as part of Sanofi’s environmental policy.
Cutting edge manufacturing and digital technologies
This factory will be built around a central unit that will house multiple completely digitized modules that will allow three to four vaccines to be produced at the same time, compared to just one at current industrial sites. Furthermore, the factory will be able to use several vaccine production technology platforms focused on various cell types. Because of this modularity and versatility, the development of a particular vaccine can be prioritized in a shorter timeline in response to public health requirements.
The project is expected to generate up to 200 local jobs and strengthen Singapore’s status as a regional healthcare innovation center.
Thomas Triomphe, Executive Vice President and Global Head of Sanofi Pasteur stated:
“As a major healthcare player, it’s our responsibility to act and to meet the unprecedented growing demands for vaccines. By investing in a new production site in Singapore, Sanofi is aiming to strengthen production capacity to meet ever-growing global demands on vaccines, and answer more rapidly to future pandemics. We are very pleased by the strong collaboration with the Singapore Economic Development Board to achieve this exciting milestone.”
Dr. Beh Swan Gin, Chairman, EDB said:
“Sanofi’s decision to locate its first-in-Asia digitally-enabled vaccine production center in Singapore, to supply markets in the region and beyond, is an endorsement of Singapore’s position as a leading centre for advanced manufacturing. EDB will continue to promote digitalization, automation and innovation to transform the manufacturing sector and create good jobs for Singaporeans.”
About Sanofi’s vaccine manufacturing
Sanofi is a leading vaccine developer and distributor with its global vaccine entity Sanofi Pasteur and has a vaccine pipeline that protects children, youths, and adults against influenza, infectious and endemic diseases. Sanofi Pasteur’s vaccines protect more than half a billion people around the world, thanks to 16,000 employees and a global network of 12 dedicated vaccine manufacturing plants.
- cGMP Plasmid DNA Manufacturing Facility, Thermo Fisher, California, USAThermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the global leader in serving science, has opened a new cGMP plasmid DNA manufacturing facility in Carlsbad,
- Cell Therapy Facility, Leiden Bio Science Park, Bristol Myers Squibb, NetherlandsBristol-Myers Squibb is investing in a brand new cell therapy facility which will be located at the Leiden Bio Science
- Digital Vaccine Manufacturing Facility, Sanofi, SingaporeSanofi revealed on April 12, 2021, that it will spend €400 million over five years in Singapore to build a
- AI Innovation Lab, BioNTech and InstaDeep, London and MainzBioNTech and InstaDeep have entered into an agreement to establish a joint AI Innovation Lab in London, United Kingdom and
- Vaccine Manufacturing and R&D Facility, Novavax, Gaithersburg, MarylandNovavax has announced the expansion of its Gaithersburg, Maryland campus to support global vaccine development through the addition of two
- Solid Dose Packaging & Distribution, Aphena Pharma, Tennessee, USAAphena Pharma Solutions has announced a $21 million expansion of its Solid Dose Division in Cookeville, Tennessee, United States. The